If you’ve lived long enough, you don’t need me to tell you that life is full of challenges. Challenges are inevitable, and how we handle them can often mean the difference between success and failure in every area of our lives.
So, what can you do to better handle challenges when they present themselves? I suggest that you welcome them!
Most successful leaders will tell you that the road to their success was ‘fraught with challenges’. Since they cannot be avoided, it just makes sense to welcome challenges when they come, build on the experiences they afford, and appreciate the benefits.
Benefits of Challenges
- Challenges create a need, the thing most businesses are built around. If there were no problems, problem-solvers would not be necessary. If everything ran smoothly, managers would not be needed. If nothing ever went wrong, if there were never any difficult personalities, there would be fewer reasons to keep you employed. Or at the very least, you would be paid much less to do what you do.
- Challenges create opportunities, the backbone of business growth. Henry J. Kaiser put it this way: “Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.”
- Challenges can provide insight, answers, solutions and, perhaps most useful, a connection with others who have experienced the same.
Appreciation of Challenges
When you realize the wealth of experience made possible to you through the many challenges you’ve faced, you can begin to appreciate the role of challenging situations. Every time you overcome, every time you find a solution, every time you rise above and provide assistance, you are experiencing life – and becoming a better, stronger, more complete YOU!
Using your story of how you’ve faced challenges and dealt with them is one of the many ways you encourage those around you. Sharing your experiences can create hope in others. The most effective teams are developed by:
- Sharing challenges
- Working to overcome challenges
- Providing solutions to challenges
When you welcome the inevitable (rather than avoiding it), you’ll be more effective at disarming awkward situations and remaining in control. Try seeing every day challenges this way and enjoy a renewed feeling of empowerment.
For one less challenge in your workplace, see how our Corporate Coach Program can help you build a trusted team that easily solves problems, responds successfully to changing priorities, and handles issues with higher levels of responsibility and accountability.