Differences exist in every area of life and business. The sooner you realize and accept this, the easier it is to move past those opposite viewpoints, perceptions, and reactions you encounter every day in the workplace.
Cultural differences can be another challenge in today’s business environment. Leaders who recognize the potential for mutual discomfort and misunderstanding among those from different cultures make it a point to work diligently to overcome these, so that all parties involved will feel at ease.
The many ways that people and cultures define themselves differently is often revealed in business practices. Interestingly, while some societies promote individualism and independent thinking, others place a higher value on group success. For successful leaders, understanding cultural and societal differences is the key in successfully managing international business relationships.
If you’re in the business of making a difference, you must also be in the business of accepting differences. You’ll enjoy more success when you see the value and benefit of utilizing people’s differences.
Making a Difference by Managing Differences
- Keep an open mind and be willing to change your expectations when encountering uncomfortable situations.
- Carefully assess each situation and individual, taking the time to study cultural differences whenever necessary, for better understanding that leads to building better relationships.
- Decide that developing an awareness of differences is a process. Accept that you can’t (and won’t) learn everything in a day and be willing to make it an ongoing practice.
- Utilize the differences of others, their skills and talents, to benefit your company and team.
- Never assume that your way is the best way. Today, innovation is key to keeping your business alive and well. Seek out differences in applications and methods that can enhance what you already do well.
- Realize the strength that exists in managing and utilizing differences effectively.
How are you managing among all the differences you face in your business environment? If it’s time for a change, we can help make all the difference in how you manage your business. Discover what over 40 million leaders already know about effectively increasing the level of success in the workplace by accepting and managing the unique differences of others.
CLICK HERE to discover the most effective workplace tools available for understanding people; their strengths, limitations, communication style, and motivational characteristics.