You probably know people who are easy to talk to, who readily empathize with others and sincerely feel their pain. These people demonstrate a high EQ. They are usually the ones others would describe as caring, nurturing, and supportive.
Emotional intelligence is the ability to perceive emotions, to access and generate emotions so as to assist thought, to understand emotions and emotional knowledge, and to reflectively regulate emotions so as to promote emotional and intellectual growth.
If you’re a leader or team player by nature, chances are you have a high EQ.
If you’d like to be a better leader or team player, there’s good news for you…
Emotional Intelligence can be:
How to Measure Your EQ and Why You Should
As someone in a managerial position, chances are you’re always looking for ways to make life a little easier on yourself – and possibly your family, as well. You want more balance in your life. You probably feel stretched to your limits and long for time to pursue some personal interests, rather than always giving to others.
This doesn’t necessarily mean you have low EQ, but it can mean that you’re not using one of the most highly effective tools for making the most of your time and energy. That tool is Developing Strong Teams.
Like EQ, the ability to build a solid team can be learned, developed, and even measured. And just like Emotional Intelligence, using this tool will benefit your organization in ways that will continue to provide successful results.
Those who skillfully lead are able to help others develop strengths and confidence because they’ve learned the power of developing people.
By allowing and encouraging others to accomplish tasks and contribute to projects outside traditional job descriptions, a leader successfully manages his or her time and resources so that everyone can enjoy MORE.
Developing strong teams increases:
With just a little insight, you can build a stronger team, improving the management of your time and efforts, while realizing greater productivity within your organization.
Take a moment to DiSCover® the level of your Emotional Intelligence.
Answer the Quick Quiz questions below (honestly) to help determine where your EQ level is – and how it matters to the success of your organization.
Quick EQ Quiz
- Do you find yourself asking, “Why should I care about emotional intelligence?”
As a hiring manager, recruiter or business owner, it’s important to know the emotional capabilities of people you may be hiring. You want to bring those onto your team who have a healthy ability to control their feelings. Avoid those who are devoid of emotions – as well as those who are ruled by them.
- Are you able to see the benefits of having emotionally intelligent employees?
People with higher EQ are usually nicer to work with. But more than that, when it comes to your business, they’re also great resources and better team players since they’re generally:
- Good communicators
- Problem solvers
- More productive
- Consistent and stable
- Would you be able to recognize a person with LOW EQ?
Interestingly, those with high EQ levels aren’t usually easy to pick out in a crowd…probably because they don’t require the attention of others and are comfortable in their own skin, generally speaking.
Those with lower levels of EQ may exhibit the following traits:
- They’re not good at managing their emotions. They may act inappropriate or overreact at times.
- They tend to have knee-jerk reactions, instead of thinking before responding.
- Achieving goals is difficult when those goals involve the emotions of others. They often let others determine whether or not they are successful.
- They are usually better in one-on-one situations, and may even come across as a ‘loner’. Relationships can be a challenge. They can seem indifferent about being liked and quick to put the blame on others.
- Though they may desire to lead, when given the opportunity, they often get impatient and frustrated. They fear losing control and wasting time. Consequently, they can appear abrupt and uncaring, driving people away.
Improving your EQ can benefit your health, education, relationships, and overall success!
If you’ve determined that it’s time to take your EQ up a notch, we can help. Our DiSC® Products are designed to bring you higher levels of productivity and increased levels of work and life satisfaction – with LESS stress. And that’s just the beginning! CONTACT US TODAY.